JOB TITLE: SALES ENGINEER
REPORTS TO: ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
PREPARED DATE: JANUARY 23, 2023
SUMMARY:Provides technical expertise to the sales team, customers, and prospective customers as a part of a sales strategy to achieve organizational sales and profit goals.
QUALIFICATIONS:To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility in a safe and satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide product, service, or equipment technical information by answering questions and sales inquiries.
- Communicate with customers and engineers to assess equipment needs and to determine system requirements.
- Work with customers and engineers to develop SOW’s for process development, process demonstration, and batch production activities.
- Ensure sales team have the necessary resources to perform properly.
- Develop technical information for sales team training.
- Assist with development of strategies and techniques for achieving the sales goals.
- Investigate potential customers and generate leads for the sales team.
- Assist with the development of sales presentations and proposals.
- Track, collate, interpret, and report sales figures.
- Develop customer and prospect communications.
- Formulate sales policies and procedures.
- Actively service customers, generate quotes, and attend trade shows/meetings.
- Participate in business development strategy planning.
- Attend inter-departmental meetings to generate new ideas, strategies and opportunities for the company and maintain communication flow between departments.
- Lead efforts to successfully present technical information at the right level to target customers.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- Engineering degree or related professional qualification required
- Experience in all aspects of planning and implementing sales strategy required
- Technical sales experience required
- Experience in customer relationship management required
- Experience with utilizing market research data/reports required
- Relevant product and industry knowledge preferred
- Solid understanding of digital sales platforms preferred
- Read and interpret documents in English such as contract rules, government solicitations, applications, newspapers, periodicals, technical manuals, and journals
- Develop, write, format, and communicate policy and procedure
- Write routine reports, correspondence, business letters, summaries, and reports in English using prescribed format, and conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, diction, and style
- Speak effectively in English before groups such as customers or employees
- Microsoft Word, Power Point, and Excel at an advanced level
- Proficient in electronic forms of communication including email, web searching, and data organization
- Apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
- Read and interpret business records and statistical reports
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The employee must be able to see differences in widths and lengths of lines such as those on graphs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Inside: Protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes. A job is considered “inside” if the worker spends approximately 75 percent or more of the time inside.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Must be able to work effectively in a changing environment, communicate well with others, effectively deal with students, and accept constructive criticism.
- Must be able to change activity frequently and cope with interruptions.
- Travel as required (approximately 15-20% of time)
IMPORTANT NOTE: Essential functions of this job are described under the headings above. The job requirements and features are subject to change from time to time due to the dynamic nature of the Company.
It is the policy of VRC Metal Systems not to discriminate or allow the harassment of employees or applicants on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law with regard to any employment practices, including recruitment, advertising, job application procedures, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, job assignments, benefits and/or other terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, provided the individual is qualified, with or without reasonable accommodations, to perform the essential functions of the job. This policy applies to all jobs at the Company. The Company will continue to take affirmative action to ensure that individuals are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to their sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law in all employment practices.
Employees and applicants with disabilities and disabled veterans are encouraged to inform Human Resources if they need a reasonable accommodation to perform a job for which they are otherwise qualified. The Company makes, and will continue to make, reasonable accommodations to the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant or employee to promote the employment of qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans, unless such accommodations would impose an undue hardship on the operations of the Company’s business.