JOB TITLE: COLD SPRAY TECHNICIAN – WEBSTER
REPORTS TO: CHIEF TECHNOLOGY OFFICER (CTO)
FLSA STATUS: NON-EXEMPT
PREPARED DATE: AUGUST 25, 2021
SUMMARY: This position is responsible for operating cold spray machines manufactured by VRC and those made by competing companies. They will assist other cold spray technicians when needed, work in teams, and assist engineers in design changes and troubleshooting. This position will also assist with aspects of customer support by working to accomplish system installation planning and execution, machine-side familiarization and on-site training, service after a sale including warranty service, repair, and wear part sales, and identifying customer needs for consumables and for upgrade opportunities.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility in a safe and satisfactory manner. Must be able to wear personal protective equipment as required by the tasks at hand. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Given a complete recipe, use the selected cold spray machine to execute the prescribed process
• Handle consumable materials that may include toxic powdered metal
• Process powdered metal for cold spray application
• Use proper procedures to handle high-pressure gasses
• Prepare substrates of various kinds to receive powder application
• Keep spray areas cleaned as needed
• Knowledge and proper use of common hand tools for machine assembly
• Familiar with power tools for machine assembly tasks and proper use
• Competent in the use of testing and measuring equipment such as electrical multi-testers, pressure and vacuum
gauges, torque measuring tools, calipers, micrometers, and other precision measuring equipment
• Maintain workstation condition and proper level of consumable supplies
• Staying up to date with cold spray procedures as they may change
• Staying up to date with the operation of cold spray systems, as they may change
• Establish and maintain an excellent customer service experience and develop engaged customers
• Take ownership of customer issues, and follow through to resolution
• Assist with prioritizing, scheduling and completion of annual calibration and other contracted maintenance activities
including warranty service, upgrades, etc.
• Follow service procedures, policies, and standards, provide Sales Department estimated installation timeline for
quotes. Coordinate with VRC procurement specialist on equipment delivery dates for installation as part of overall
installation management responsibilities
• Convey inputs from customers and own expertise on cold spray applications and equipment
• Provide training to customers on cold spray systems, equipment, maintenance, and inspections
• Provide input on training curriculums
• Provide input to Engineering and Production departments on owner and operator manuals
• Perform cold spray field applications/fee for service as required
• Provides input and helps administer customer satisfaction survey
• Keep accurate records and document customer service actions and discussions into the EstiTrack system (MRP/ ERP
system). Analyze input records, customer satisfaction, installations, and training and compile accurate reports
• Travel as required
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
• High School Diploma or equivalent required
• Associate degree or higher preferred
• Two years’ experience in a general electronic technology repair or operation environment preferred
• Technical degree or related professional/technical experience preferred
• Experience in all aspects of VRC products’ operation and maintenance preferred
• Read and correctly interpret documents in English such as safety rules, safety data sheets, cold spray recipes,
operating and maintenance instructions, work instructions, procedure manuals, newspapers, periodicals, journals,
• Write routine reports, correspondence, inventory summaries, and reports in English using prescribed format, and
conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, diction, and style
• Ability to speak effectively in English on the phone and in person with coworkers
• Ability to develop and maintain a professional working relationship with all team members
• Proficient: basic math skills with high attention to detail
• Microsoft Word, Power Point, and Excel at an intermediate level
• Proficient in electronic forms of communication including email, web searching, and data organization
• Ability to quickly learn computer applications, such as inventory tracking and management software
• Ability to quickly learn computer applications that control equipment used for job related activities, including but not
limited to the cold spray system control software
• Apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
• Read and interpret design documents and schematics
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. The employee must be able to see differences in color, widths, and lengths of lines such as those on design and schematic drawings.
Inside: Protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes. A job is considered “inside” if the worker spends approximately 75 percent or more of the time inside.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• Must be able to work effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, communicate well with others, effectively deal with internal customers and external vendors and customers, and accept constructive criticism
• Must be able to change activity frequently and cope appropriately with interruptions
IMPORTANT NOTE: Essential functions of this job are described under the headings above. The job requirements and features are subject to change from time to time due to the dynamic nature of the Company.
It is the policy of VRC Metal Systems not to discriminate or allow the harassment of employees or applicants on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law with regard to any employment practices, including recruitment, advertising, job application procedures, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, job assignments, benefits and/or other terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, provided the individual is qualified, with or without reasonable accommodations, to perform the essential functions of the job. This policy applies to all jobs at the Company. The company will continue to take affirmative action to ensure that individuals are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to their sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law in all employment practices.
Employees and applicants with disabilities and disabled veterans are encouraged to inform Human Resources if they need a reasonable accommodation to perform a job for which they are otherwise qualified. The Company makes and will continue to make, reasonable accommodations to the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant or employee to promote the employment of qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans unless such accommodations would impose an undue hardship on the operations of the Company’s business